OSHA Portable Generator Safety Fact Sheet
Using Portable Generators Safely
Portable generators are internal combustion engines used to generate electricity.
They are useful when temporary or remote power is needed, and are commonly
used during cleanup and recovery efforts following disasters such as hurricanes,
tornadoes, etc. This fact sheet discusses specific hazards inherent with the use
of generators and also provides helpful information to ensure that workers and
others using such equipment remain safe.
Hazards Associated with Generators:
• Shocks and electrocution from improper use of power or accidentally energizing other electrical systems.
• Carbon monoxide from a generator’s exhaust.
• Fires from improperly refueling a generator or inappropriately storing the fuel for a generator.
• Noise and vibration hazards.
- Poster size 11” x 17”
- Front and back sides are laminated
- Quality printing in full color
- Attorney Approved
- Recycled Paper
- Made in USA
- Poster content is guaranteed to be up-to-date